Big Hollowland News!
I’m now going to take a small break from Zombiepalooza to bring you some news. Although, since it’s about The Hollows, it’s not technically still about zombies, so it still fits in with Zombiepalooza.
Anyway, this press release came out today:
- Dynamite is proud to announce that we have reached an agreement with Amanda Hocking and will publish Hollowland comic books in 2012!
- Amanda Hocking is an American writer of paranormal romance young-adult fiction. Hocking lives in Austin, Minnesota. Employed as an assisted living worker until 2010, she wrote 17 novels in her spare time. In April 2010, she began self-publishing them as e-books. By March 2011, she had sold over a million copies of nine books and earned two million dollars from sales, something previously unheard of for self-published authors. To date only five other authors have sold over a million digital e-books. In early 2011, Hocking averaged 9,000 book sales each day.
- In Hollowland, Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way – not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.
- “It’s always been a dream of mine to bring the world of The Hollows to graphic novels,” says acclaimed author Amanda Hocking. “I’m so fortunate to be able to partner with an amazing publisher like Dynamite to bring this dream to life.”
- “It is such a pleasure for Dynamite to be working with Amanda as she knows the world of comics,” says Dynamite President and Publisher Nick Barrucci. “Amanda’s success shows that hard work and passion pays off and we can’t wait to see her incredible energy translated to comics!”
- For art and more information, please visit: www.dynamite.net About Dynamite Entertainment:
- DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT was founded in 2004 and is home to several best-selling comic book titles and properties, including The Boys, Green Hornet, Vampirella, Warlord of Mars, Bionic Man, Game of Thrones and more!
- In addition to their critically-acclaimed titles and best selling comics, Dynamite works with some of the most high profile creators in comics and entertainment, including Alex Ross, John Cassaday, Garth Ennis, Michael Avon Oeming, Mel Rubi, Marc Guggenheim, Stephen Sadowski, Mike Carey, Jim Krueger, Greg Pak, Brett Matthews, Matt Wagner and a host of up and coming new talent!
- DYNAMITE is consistently ranked in the upper tiers of comic book publishers and several of their titles – including Alex Ross and Jim Krueger’s PROJECT SUPERPOWERS – have debuted in the Top Ten lists produced by Diamond Comics Distributors. Several of their titles have also hit The New York Times Best-Sellers list: The Boys, Vampirella Archives, Robert Jordan’s New Spring and Wheel of Time graphic novels. In 2005 Diamond awarded the company a GEM award for Best New Publisher and another GEM in 2006 for Comics Publisher of the Year (under 5%). The company has also been nominated for several industry awards, including the prestigious Eisner Award.
I am incredibly excited about this. I love graphic novels, and I really think the action of The Hollows lends itself to the form.
Also, what the press release didn’t say is that the graphic novels won’t just be an adaptation of Hollowland and Hollowmen, it will be new content. It’s going to be new stories, new adventures, a continuation of the novels. The deal has just gone through, so we haven’t had a chance to talk about what that means exactly. I’ve got some ideas for it, but I want to to talk with Dynamita’s writers and artists before I tell you anything concretely.
I will be heavily involved in the process, but I’m not sure if I will be directly writing the of the graphic novels. I do have script approval, though, so even if I’m not writing them, I will be able to make changes as necessary. I’d really like to write them, and if I can, I will, but I’ve got such a busy workload right now, I’m not sure if it will be possible.
Anyway, I’m really excited. As soon as I know more – like who the artist will be and if it will be more serialized comics or a graphic novel – I’ll be sure to tell you. But The Hollows will definitely be out in comic form in 2012.